Active Same Canoe Community Garden partners in Phase One currently are:
1. Honaunau School, Melissa Chivers
2. West Hawaii Explorations Academy, Ben Duke
3. Kona Innovations Charter School, Krista Donaldson
4. Konawaena Middle School, Shari Jumalon
5. Kona Senior Recreation Services, Kelly Hudik
6. Na Wahi Ola, Nani Kopono
7. SKEA South Kona Education and Arts Society, Susan Rice
8. One Island Sustainable Living Center, Marcy Montgomery and Raven Bolas
Phase Two Partners are:
9. Konawaena High School, Maverick Kawamoto
10. The ARC of Kona, Gretchen Lawson
11. Kona Pacific Charter School, Ben Publico
12. Ho’okena School, April Qina
13. Ho’okena Community, Lenda Hands
14. Miloli’i Community, Water and Solar Maintenance Committee
15. Ka Ohana O Na Pua, Nancy Redfeather
Same Canoe’s support for these gardens are funded in part by the PEOPLE’S GARDEN PROJECT hosted by the National Institute for Food and Agriculture. The lead gardens serve as demonstration sites sharing local food production, preparation and preservation knowledge with their clients, students and families. The project is creating a wide ripple through the community and will eventually serve over 2,000 rural residents interested in increasing their food security, improving their nutrition, and saving money by lessening their dependency on imported foods.
In addition to growing food, The Same Canoe Community Garden Project is also providing support for increasing wildlife habitat, promoting reforestation and preservation of native plants, and growing medicinal plants.
Green is a Verb – Let’s Do It,Together!